I mentioned recently how I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and, although it took me a while to get into it, once the author, Marie Kondo, got down to the actual decluttering process, I ate it up!  In fact, I'm rereading it a second time to soak up all the bits I might have missed by reading it so quickly.  It inspired me immediately to start decluttering our own home and I'm someone who already thinks I have a pretty good handle on organization. 





Since reading the book, I tackled our linen closet, kitchen drawers, and also got a big start on our Playroom (which I plan to show you soon).  One huge area that I had never given much thought to decluttering or tidying was the books, and we have what feels like a million.  We are big book lovers over here and, honestly, taking a trip to the bookstore is one of our favorite things to do.  





DECLUTTERING BOOKS 





Kondo recommends beginning by "removing every book from your shelves and putting them on the floor."  We have books in nearly every room of our house, starting with the floor to ceiling bookshelves in our hallway, to the living room, kitchen, my office, our bedroom, James' room, the playroom, and my husband's office.  But, she says, "you cannot judge whether or not a book really grabs you when it's still on the shelf . . . books that have been left untouched on the shelf for a long time are dormant or invisible." I definitely agree with that, and think that had I not removed all the books from their current spaces, I wouldn't have discarded nearly as many. 









Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top