Like anyone who works in a creative field, we all get in ruts where inspiration is lacking and our creative juices aren't flowing.  That was me a few weeks ago when I wanted to do some Fall decorating, but just wasn't feeling it.  Luckily, decorating isn't necessarily my "work" so I didn't have to force myself to pull something together.  I could just wait a bit and then get to it.  But, if your work is dependent on you coming up with fresh ideas or if you're a blogger, especially a 'home' or 'diy' blogger, coming up with creative content on a consistent basis can become overwhelming and difficult to maintain.  I've gotten many comments and questions about how to keep the blog content coming especially when you feel tapped out.  Step one of my Ten Steps to Better Blog Posts was "Generate Ideas" and I wanted to expand on that here. Not only "where to find inspiration" but also how to translate those ideas into authentic blog posts.





1.  Magazines & Books





In the world of digital media, print magazines seem to be on the decline.  I admit to letting some print subscriptions go, but I still like to physically browse through magazines and catalogs (free!) and tear out/write on pages for inspiration for blogging and decorating.  My subscriptions are still InStyle, and StyleWatch (fashion), House Beautiful and Martha Stewart Living (decor/crafts), Oprah (lifestyle), Oxygen (fitness).  I love the BHG special publications, Food & Wine, Cook's Illustrated, Country Living.  As for catalogs, I receive a ton - all the big name retailers like Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, Ballard Designs, Home Decorators, and Nordstrom.  












Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top