Happy Monday friends!  I may not be operating at full speed today, having spent the last 4 days in Dallas with my blogging girlfriends (see what I packed to wear here), staying up too late, and indulging in all things girly and fun. I felt like I was a kid again having an all-girls sleepover for 3 nights, complete with getting ready together and pillow talk. But, you know how it is when you go away for even a few days, it seems like when you get back there's so much to do from unpacking to laundry to grocery shopping, etc.  





My boys survived and enjoyed their guy weekend, and I'm sure it was good for them both. Sometimes my son just needs alone-time with Dad.  I can't say the same thing about our poor plants.   Do men really just not notice that the previously healthy and perky plants are wilting away and near death?!?!  Or is it just mine?? I tended to them when I got home, so hopefully, they'll come back to life.





And speaking of coming back to life, if you follow Honey We're Healthy, you know that I trained for and competed in my first fitness bikini contest last July.  It was a long-time bucket list item for me and I finally built up the courage to go for it last year.  Exercise has always been a way for me to blow off steam, release stress and feel good about myself.  While I was going through my Dad's illness, I would work off all the anger, frustration and stress at the gym and it also helped me feel better about myself.  Of course, I want to be healthy and look good too.  I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed about that, even when people don't understand my motives.




FITNESS CONTEST 2014






For my first contest, I started working out seriously and eating healthy in January 2014.  Then, to help get me ready for the contest, I hired a trainer in March, and after 14 weeks of training together, I competed on July 3, 2014.  I was in the best shape of my life and felt really good, even weeks before the contest date.  





It was a lot of work to get to that point, but in retrospect, it was just a matter of doing what I knew needed to be done day in and day out.  I actually didn't have too much trouble sticking to the diet because I liked my food (and there was plenty of it) but the training!!  Oh, the training was always physically demanding, even as I got in better shape and we pushed harder.  Plus, I was doing 45 minutes of cardio about 4 days a week on top of the 3-4 days of weight training.  So, the time commitment was significant too.





At the show, I placed 4th in my age group (over 35) and was humbly proud of my accomplishment.  When I look at the picture below, it's actually hard to imagine that's me. I'm definitely not looking like that now. 





bikin contest prep NPC



Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top